July 15th, 2014
One of the best Junior Golf Tournaments in the world is being held on various courses throughout the county. In 1968, The Junior World was first introduced by San Diego Junior Golf Association as a means for young players throughout the world to come together to play golf and share in a cultural exchange. This prestigious tournament has a rich history. Check out a list of past winners here.
The following is taken from the 1968 Junior World Program:
- The idea behind the Junior World Golf Championships is simply “YOUTH.” The San Diego County Junior Golf Association is founded on the principle of serving young people, in the hope that by doing so today’s youth will have a better chance of creating the world we all want. The Junior World tournament is an international extension of that principle. We believe that by bringing together young people from all parts of the world and all parts of our nation, we are helping to bring about greater understanding among people of differing cultures and values.
Now, with sponsor Callaway, the Junior World continues to bring together golfers from throughout the world to San Diego.
(Photo by Raymond Photography)
From July 15th to July 18th, the following courses will be host to Junior Golfers from ages 7 to 17:
- Torrey Pines Golf Course – South Course
- Colina Park Golf Course
- The Country Club of Rancho Bernardo
- Lomas Santa Fe Exec Golf Course
- Morgan Run Resort and Club – North/South
- Oaks North Golf Club – North-East Course
- Ranch Bernardo Inn
- Sycuan Resort – Oak Glen
- Sycuan Resort – Pine Glen
- Torrey Pines Golf Course – North Coarse
- Welk Resort San Diego Fountains Executive Course
You can follow the tournament in real time here.
This is a special event, and as an instructor who has several players golfing this week, I hope to see you out on the courses.
March 9th, 2014
In what is possibly the best field in Collegiate Golf — with seven of the top ten schools and all of the top five playing this weekend, The Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters is one of the highlights of the Division 1 Golf season.
My son, and 2013 San Diego County Juniors Player of the Year, Redford Bobbitt is golfing for UNLV in the tournament. The Runnin’ Rebels, enter the tournament ranked 33rd in the nation.
The favorites are the Alabama Crimson Tide, ranked #1 and led by #1 Player in the Country Trey Mullinax. Returning SHC Champions Cal Bears are also in the field and ranked #4 in the country.
It is a tough field, and Redford, as a Freshman is honored just to be in such illustrious company. We’re here in Las Vegas supporting him this weekend! Wish us luck.
You can follow the tournament at Golfstat.com and UNLVRebels.com.
The tournament will conclude Sunday with 18 holes starting at 8 a.m. Live scoring of the tournament is available on the internet courtesy of Golfstat through a link at UNLVRebels.com.
June 16th, 2013
On June 11th my student (and son) Redford Bobbitt qualified for the 114th SCGA Am. He shot a -1 71 at Pala Mesa and won a 5 person playoff for 2 spots. With a 20ft birdie putt on the first hole he is in and will compete with some of the best amateurs in the State at San Diego Country Club in July. Past winners include Charlie Wi and world No. 1 Tiger Woods!
Later in the week he shot 69-73 for a 2 under 142 at River Walk Golf Club in a SDJGA junior world qualifier. He hit 86.11% of the greens on the weekend. On Tuesday, Redford began another event, AJGA Under Armour/ Vicky Hurst Championship. He shot a tournament career low 65 in round 1 then followed up with a 69 and 72 to finish an impressive -10. He wound up placing T3!
The key to the recent run of success for Redford was his tempo. Right before his great stretch of golf he had a very quick swing tempo. So, he came for a lesson before his play and we slowed it down and it greatly helped his timing and ball striking.